Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

We are BIG Mexican food fans over here and I love trying out new enchilada recipes. These were really good! I used medium enchilada sauce so they had some zing to them, definitely a winner!

Ingredients:
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breast halves, boiled and shredded (I used a can of chicken)
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 big can (7-8 oz) chopped green chile peppers
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 c. sour cream (I used FF)
- 2 c. cottage cheese (I used lowfat)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 pinch pepper (I used less salt and more pepper)
- 12 corn tortillas (I used 14)
- 2 c. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce

Directions:
Meat Mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over med high heat. Add chicken, onion, and green chile peppers and saute until browned. Add taco seasoning and simmer.
Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl, mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Heat tortillas until soft (I wrap 3 in a paper towel and heat for 30 seconds in microwave). In each tortilla, place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cheese mixture, and a bit of shredded cheese.
- Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish (instead of greasing I lightly cover bottom of dish with some enchilada sauce).
- Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture (I had quite a bit of cheese mix left, but not meat), enchilada sauce, and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Where did you get this recipe. I'll have to try it.

Marci said...

It's my visiting teaching partner's recipe from her old ward cookbook.

Annemarie said...

I saw this on your side bar last week & have been waiting for the recipe! Luckily I just happen to have all of the ingredients on hand so this will be dinner tomorrow night!!!

Annemarie said...

Do you add water with the taco seasoning or just the packet?

Marci said...

It says to follow the packet directions, which would mean adding water, but I didn't...I think it would be too runny if you did.